Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Calling all GWGs!

Girl with Glasses by Marissa Walsh

Interesting Fact: 
This is a non-fiction book based on the author's experiences of growing up as a girl with glasses.

About the Book:
Through her book, Walsh documents her "optic history" beginning in third grade. She manages to show how her changing selection in frames reflected the changes within herself.  The book consists of many short stories dealing with humorous experiences that fellow girl with glasses would understand such as the stress involved when kissing with glasses, the intimate eye exams, and the dreadful contacts.  Sometimes, wearing glasses makes us feel as if we lack sex appeal.  However, Walsh displays confidence in standing out and being different.

Why read it?
It will make you laugh, especially if you can relate to her experiences as a GWGs. You will be taken back in time as you recall your own experiences. Personally, I recalled buying my first frames and my long struggle with contacts! As an ex-GWGs, I think that I would have viewed my glasses in a more positive light if I had only read this book before getting LASIK. 

Other Books by Marissa Walsh:

No comments:

Post a Comment